4.21.2008

Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup



This is a really simple soup, but you won't believe how delicious it is. I had made it and photographed it, but never posted it. Then I read the latest post from Cookiecrumb over at "I'm Mad and I Eat" and I had to post this. She's been pulling out her old cauliflower and broccoli plants (sigh - she lives in California. That's why her plants are already old). Anyway, it made me think of this soup, which is a great thing to make with leftover cauliflower and broccoli. Don't skip the step of roasting the cauliflower - it adds a depth of flavor you don't get otherwise.

1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 large head of cauliflower (or 1 small head), cut into large pieces
1/2 head of broccoli
4 cups chicken broth
couple handfuls of baby spinach
parmesan cheese


On a baking sheet, spread out cauliflower and roast in oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until cauliflower starts to brown a little.

In a large saucepan, saute onions in a little olive oil for several minutes, until translucent. Add chicken stock, cauliflower and broccoli and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Make sure broccoli is soft. Add spinach and cook for a couple minutes more.

Using an immersion blender, puree soup in pot. (If you don't have one, transfer the soup to a blender and puree. But geez, if you don't have an immersion blender go out and get one right away - they're just too great not to have one).

Serve soup with a little grated parmesan on top.

Buon appetito! Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious Bookmark on Delicious

4 comments:

  1. It looks so thick and creamy, with not a bit of cream! Roasting the cauliflower is a great idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm way behind in my chicken / veal broth making...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/16/2009

    My furnace broke and we have record lows today. While I wait for the repairman in my 40 degree house, I'm making this soup. Sounds delicious! Lucky me I had cauliflower and broccoli in the fridge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/10/2011

    Now that cooler weather prevails,this sounds too good to pass on. Of course, my Neapolitan upbringing may require me to add some fresh basil and just a clove or ten of garlic. Perhaps some oven roasted chicken with rosemary just for the heck of it.

    ReplyDelete