1.09.2009

Italian Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches



(Please note that I have moved my blog as of September, 2009. This post is now at: http://tinyurl.com/y9z5k38. Please hop on over and visit me at my new site. Thanks!)

"Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart." - Erma Bombeck

I had to start you off with that quote so you would feel better about this post. This is real indulgence. My husband and kids love these ice cream sandwiches. You can make these with store bought italian pizzelle cookies, but it's so fun to actually make the cookies yourself. Pizzelle cookies can be made in any flavor and shaped when still warm, allowing you to make little waffle dishes or cones. But my guys' favorite way to eat them is to smear them with their beloved Nutella, cut slices of ice cream and make a sandwich out of them. Of course, you can also just eat them alone, as a cookie, but what fun is that?




Chocolate Pizzelle Cookies

for a printable recipe, click here

3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar + 3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup melted butter or oil, like canola
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Beat eggs and sugar. Add cooled melted butter or oil and vanilla. Sift together the cocoa, flour and baking powder. Add to egg mixture. Batter will be stiff. Drop by teaspoonful onto pizzelle maker. Close lid and cook for about 20 seconds. After the first couple, you will know how long to cook them for your pizzelle maker. Makes 30 pizzelles.

The pizzelle maker I use is from Villaware.





Sometimes two cookies will be formed together. Just break them apart. Most cookies will need to be trimmed a little around the edges:



It's fun to make little waffle cups - just place the hot pizzelle right off the griddle onto an inverted custard cup. The ones below were formed on a rolling pin:



For all you Nutella lovers out there, you may enjoy this link.


Note: For all the readers who subscribe to my blog through a Reader, I apologize for my feed going out twice. I have tried to work through Feedburner to figure out why this is happening, and cannot get it solved. Bear with me until it gets fixed! Thanks!
Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious Bookmark on Delicious

27 comments:

  1. Those ice cream sandwiches look delicious. And with nutella, what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/09/2009

    This sounds so wonderful. I could even imagine some nice caramel sauce in there too. You've just reminded me that I received a pizzelle maker as a gift years ago - probably time that I tracked it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/09/2009

    You might be considered a bad influence!

    I have that same pizzelle maker, and I can get Nutella imported from Italy at The Chelsea Market.

    So I guess I know what my next decadent concoction will be. Thanks for the quote. It helps (a little).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/09/2009

    Very nice! You trim the cookies so you can take a nibble, right? ;)
    Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/09/2009

    Yummy! My family will love this! That really looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/09/2009

    Oh my, this sounds absolutely delicious! Anything with nutella is a winner in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh. i just love pizelles. these look beautiful. i just got an iron but haven't used it yet. i love the idea of bending them while they're warm. i'm definitely pulling my iron out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to make pizzelle ice cream sandwiches and cannoli shells when i was a kid. They were always a huge hit for b-day parties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This could possibly be my new favorite thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1/12/2009

    i normally stand on my chair so to get the dessert cart person's attention sooner! LOVE this recipe and especially love the wise addition of nutella !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a pizzelle iron from a friend for Christmas and this sounds like the perfect recipe to try first! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A real indulgence indeed. These look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look beautiful. My waffle maker came with pizelle plates, but I haven't tried them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1/12/2009

    I love Pizelle's. I also use a VillaWare pizelle maker. I never thought about doing this with them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1/14/2009

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always been afraid to buy a pizzelle maker because I feared I'd gain too much weight since I love them so. Your ice cream sandwiches look delicious. Have you ever made a savory pizzelle? I just thought about that possibility, pizzelle crackers?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1/18/2009

    Arlene: What a great idea. I've never made a savory pizzelle. That's really got me thinking of the possibilities. . . thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you for your kind words. then i come here and i see my favorite thing ever. ice cream sandwiches with nutella! oh man... can i have these for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  20. How gorgeous.Oooooooooh...I wish I had a pizelle press too. Unheard of where I live. Those cups are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun dessert! I had a pizzelle maker, but I'll be darned if I know what ever happened to it! I do have though a single pizzelle maker with a long handle that you hold over the stove. It's back breaking work and takes *forever* to get a nice pile of cookies made!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a neat dessert. I'd love to have one of those pizzelle makers! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3/31/2009

    Wow.. I made these the other day for friends and we all loved it!! Thanks for sharing! It's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous3/31/2009

    BTW.. where in MI are you? I'm originally from Grand Rapids area. My parents are still there so we visit often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really a 'cool' idea.

    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to make my own ice cream sandwiches pizzelle. Mmm, Yummy!

    Cheers
    PizzelleMaker

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous5/27/2010

    Mmmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete