3.08.2008

Farro Salad


This is one of my favorite dishes. Sometimes I make a big batch of this and then have it for lunch for a few days. It's easy and a very healthy dish. Farro has become quite popular now and can be found on a lot of menus at good Italian restaurants. It is an ancient grain that has been eaten in Italy for eons. It's very similar to spelt. In fact, some people claim they are the same thing and some people say they are different. They are very close. I have cooked both and I believe spelt is a little harder and takes a little longer to cook. If you can't find farro, just use spelt. I can only buy farro when I travel out of town and can pick some up.

At our farmer's market last year, there was a family selling ground spelt flour. I asked the lady if I could buy some whole and she was mystified - she couldn't understand why I would want to eat it whole.   I bugged her every week and finally one week she remembered to bring a bag of unground spelt and she happily gave it to me and would not charge me. It was delicious in this salad.



Farro Salad

1 cup farro or spelt
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
olive oil

Place farro in small saucepan. Simmer for about 20 minutes. If using spelt, simmer for about 35 minutes. When it's tender, it's done. Drain.

Chop peppers and onions. Mince garlic. Spread out on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and toss and then roast at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking time.

In large bowl, toss farro with vegetables and fresh herbs. Drizzle olive oil over and season generously with salt and pepper.


Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious Bookmark on Delicious

4 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks just delicious! Can you believe I have never tried farro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/13/2008

    LOVE farro. Have you looked into Ferriss Organics in Eaton Rapids? No farro but they've got some lovely spelt and other great flours!

    http://www.ferrisorganicfarm.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. El: Thanks for the tip. I will check them out! I do really like whole spelt if I can't get farro. Elaine

    ReplyDelete